Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Duh.

I had another one of those, “Why didn’t I think of that before??” moments in the kitchen the other day. When  I opened the drawer to pull out my 1 tsp measuring spoon, I grabbed the cheap plastic one, (you know, the one with the measurement so faded and scratched that you can’t even read it anymore.. .the one that broke off the cheap plastic ring, but you decided it wasn't even worth your time to try to replace it) leaving my nice set of stainless steel measuring spoons in it’s place.


As I measured out my teaspoon of salt, I asked myself, “Why am I using this cheap plastic spoon when I have a nice metal one?” Believe it or not, I have actually done this a number of times without stopping to consider the reason why I was doing it. It was just easier. And here is what I concluded. I use the cheap plastic spoon because it IS easier. But why is it easier? Because it broke off the plastic ring, and it lay all by itself in the drawer.  I only needed the 1 Tsp measurement, so why pick up the whole SET of metal spoons? For one thing, it’s harder to maneuver and measure when I have four other heavy spoons hanging from my hand. Second, and probably most important. Why would I want to wash FOUR MORE spoons than I need?? How absurd. My time is precious. 

So. Here’s when I got my “DUH” moment. Why don’t I just separate my set of metal spoons so that I only have to use and wash the one I want?

And so I did.
 


And now I use my nice metal spoons all the time.

2 comments:

LAE said...

Brilliant! I've never thought of that either! Haha!

Rebecca Elves said...

Like!