Tuesday, January 6, 2009

reality

So I think reality has finally sunk in. Jane is ours and we don't have to give her back to someone else. We can hardly believe she is three weeks old. Time has flown by... but somehow it also feels like it's been an eternity. We are also amazed how such a little person can completely change our lives. We are thoroughly in love with her; we just stare at her and are astounded at God's goodness to give us such a beautiful gift. We love looking into her bright wide eyes, wondering what she's thinking, watching her endless cute facial expressions, hearing her sweet little baby noises and smelling her precious skin and hair. God has taught us a good deal of patience over the last three weeks as well.... from changing endless poopie diapers, to feeling like a cow, nursing around the clock, and waking up multiple times during the night to hear her mournful little cry from the bassinet. We used to think that getting five or six hours of sleep was a "bad night".... but now that Jane is a part of our family, we think that getting five or six hours of straight sleep would be pure bliss! How perspective changes... I was struck with the reality of how drastically our lives have changed while I was doing laundry, of all things. As I looked at the clean laundry I had just washed and folded, I realized that it was mostly pink... little onesies, tiny socks, burp cloths and hats and bibs... can this really be OUR laundry??

1 comment:

darcie said...

you know, Jenny, the contents of the laundry basket tells alot about a family. The other day I was folding laundry for my daughter-in-law, Gabrielle, and I commented to her later that I folded all the little socks and thought,"little things use to describe my laundry basket-but not anymore!" Blessings for the new year.