Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Random kitchen tip

I think it was one of my sisters who shared this kitchen tip with me a long time ago, and I finally just tried it for the first time today. One of the things that grosses me out the very most is a nasty dirty dish rag or a stinky sponge. Because of this, I change my dish rags daily, and I tend to throw away sponges very frequently. Well, I heard that if you moisten the nasty sponge, and microwave it on high for about a minute, it will kill the bacteria causing the offensive smell and restore your sponge to it's original freshness. I thought that was weird. But I tried it today because it seemed like I had just pulled out a brand new sponge not three days before. It felt like a waste. (maybe my pregnant nose just can't tolerate as much anymore!) After microwaving my sponge, I rinsed it out and gave it a good sniff .... lo and behold! It didn't smell bad anymore!!

2 comments:

LAE said...

You guys are a hoot. I can totally see Sherrie microwaving her sponges! :oP

Unknown said...

If the inside of your microwave is cruddy, you can boil water or zap a sponge then let the moisture sit for several minutes...then the dry splats will be much easier to wipe off :0)