I had a conversation with a friend of mine recently who has always worked full time outside of the home. She is hoping to soon be a full-time homemaker. Anticipating the change, she asked me, "so do you get bored staying home all day?".... .... .... um, no. A little lonely, yes, but never bored. There is always something left on my to-do list at the end of the day that somehow didn't get squeezed in between the laundry, dishes, cleaning, cooking, diapers, groceries, ironing, menu planning, gardening and feeding my daughter. I always smile a little when people ask me, "so do you work, or stay home?"
... both.
The two can't be separated. I love the privilege of staying home... and I wouldn't trade it for any other job in the world... but I definitely don't sit around reading and eating chocolate mousse all day!
This quote from an Ann Landers column sums up the job description of a stay-at-home wife and mom...
I’m a wife, mother, friend, confidant, personal advisor, lover, referee, peacemaker, housekeeper, laundress, chauffeur, interior decorator, gardener, painter, wall paperer, dog groomer, veterinarian, manicurist, barber, seamstress, appointment manager, financial planner, bookkeeper, money manager, personal secretary, teacher, disciplinarian, entertainer, psychoanalyst, nurse, diagnostician, public relations expert, dietitian and nutritionist, baker, chef, fashion coordinator and letter writer for both sides of the family. I am also a travel agent, speech therapist, plumber and automobile maintenance and repair expert. . . .
From the studies done, it would cost more than $75,000 a year to replace me. I took time out of my busy day to write this letter, Ann, because there are still ignorant people who believe a housewife is nothing more than a baby sitter who sits on her behind all day and looks at soap operas.
(Ann Landers, May, 1988, quoted in Mom, You’re Incredible, by Linda Weber, Focus on the Family, 1994, pp. 23-24).
Here's another cute story I read on Carolyn Mahaney's blog that says it well:
One day a man comes home from work to find total mayhem at home. The kids were outside still in their pajamas playing in the mud and muck. There were empty food boxes and wrappers all around. As he proceeded into the house, he found an even bigger mess. Dishes on the counter, dog food spilled on the floor, a broken glass under the table, and a small pile of sand by the back door. The family room was strewn with toys and various items of clothing, and a lamp had been knocked over. He headed up the stairs, stepping over toys, to look for his wife. He was becoming worried that she may be ill, or that something had happened to her. He found her in the bedroom, still in bed with her pajamas on, reading a book. She looked up at him, smiled, and asked how his day went. He looked at her bewildered and asked, "What happened here today?"
She again smiled and answered, "You know everyday when you come home from work and ask me what I did today?"Yes, was his reply.
She answered, "Well, today I didn't do it!"
2 comments:
People used to ask me what I did all day....when I had five littles in the house.
???
I have always adored my role as homekeeper and mom. And no...I did NOT sit around watching soaps and eating bonbons.
:)
Imagine that.
Love it!
I love staying home! And yes... I to never quite get everything done in a day that I plan to! It truely is a full time job!!!!!!!
Post a Comment